Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Alter(natives)

Once summer is over (my estimation this didn't really happen until the first week of December-I am deluded like that), I do a quick closet cleaning of all the summery things that never managed to get off their hangers and out into the sunshine. While on this purge, I started noticing a trend in my clothes. The i-would-wear-this-if (fill in the blank: hem was fixed, straps were shorter was actually my size). This pile soon grew bigger than my donation bag. Thank the heavens I have a mother with some skills and a sewing machine.


(from leftish to right) black skirt taken in from size 12, tank with straps shortened by 3 inches, back hem fixed on Kennth Cole top so it so it no longer looks like my butt is trying to ravage my top, purple tank and red dress got their bottoms hemmed since a certain American company that makes Apparel couldn't be bothered to and the roll of fabric that keeps rolling up is just not attractive, black sundress with straps shortened only by 2 inches, GAP splurge purchase couldn't resist their designer white shirts and this just didn't look right until the back darts were taken in more, raincoat with precarious button -lets just say it was hanging on by a thread (ohhh sewing humor!), pair of athletic pants that had shrunk to highwaters got chopped at the knee for cute sportyness attire and not shown a brown skirt that is still in surgery at my moms house.
So it took about 3 hours of seam ripping, cutting, thread matching and hem pinning while my mother worked the sewing machine for all this to get done. the upside: didn't cost anything and I now have a closet where everything fits. Will relish the moment.

No comments: